Thursday 28 May 2009

How to avoid the “I’ll think about it” blocker

It’s happened to all of us: we’re selling, or driving a new project, proposing change, and the other party hear all your arguments and then say “I’ll think about it”. You just know it’s an excuse for avoiding a decision. Grrrrr.

Here’s a simple and very effective method for avoiding “I’ll think about it”.

Step 1: As early as possible, say “…to make sure our final agreement is exactly right for you, we’ll work through a series of draft proposals together….we call them Pre-Proposal Reviews”

Steps 2,3,4, etc: At each meeting and review, write DRAFT in big letters across your documents. Discuss them, change them, but never agree it’s final. You never have a final  document: there’s always the need for another meeting to finalise the Proposal.

So when they say “I’ll have to think about it” you can say “Yes, so do I…let’s agree a date to review the next draft…”

No comments:

Post a Comment